The AFN has heard from First Nations representatives from across the country who would like an opportunity to have further dialogue on health legislation, recognizing that the federal government is operating on a tight timeline to introduce the legislation (Winter 2024).
Questions continue around how legislation could potentially recognize the Treaty Right to Health, what role the provincial and territorial governments will play, and how it could address anti-Indigenous racism in the health care system. Moreover, First Nations need to know fundamentally how federal legislation could improve health outcomes for First Nations.
This hybrid, one and a half day gathering (participants can attend the meeting in person or online) is to support a national dialogue on the proposed distinctions-based Indigenous health legislation with First Nations representatives across the country.
Who should attend
It is expected that the audience will be:
- First Nations Leadership from across Canada
- First Nations Health Technicians and Legal Experts
- Federal, Provincial and Territorial Government officials
- First Nations community members
- First Nations Elders and Knowledge Keepers
Forum Registration open
Opening Ceremonies, Plenaries and Panel Presentations
Setting the Context for the Gathering
Opening Panel – Setting The Context
The Treaty Right to Heath and The Legacy of Indian Health Policy (1979): Contemporary Legislative and Policy Considerations
AFN Work on Health Legislation
Presentation by Indigenous Services Canada
Regional Perspectives & Next Steps
Please register for the Forum at the following link:
You can also register by completed the following registration form and send to [email protected].
Indigeno Travel is the preferred travel agency of the AFN. Indigeno Travel is Indigenous-owned and its service comes complete with Forum discounts, 24/7 emergency service for unforeseen flight changes, and a dedicated agent for personalized service. Please contact Indigeno, toll-free at 1-888-202-8262, or by email at [email protected] to make your flight arrangements.
Please visit www.aircanada.com to make a booking online using the promotion code listed below.
Your Air Canada promotion code: KTTDQ941
- The booking is to be made to the following city: Toronto, YYZ (ON)
- The travel period begins May 24, 2023, and ends June 8, 2023.
- For North America 5% applies on standard fares, 10% on flex fares & higher. For International Travel 10% on standard fares & higher.
- However, all bookings made using the promotion code will count toward the minimum 10 passenger requirement for Meetings and Conventions events.
Our host hotel for the Forum is the Delta Toronto Downtown, 75 Lower Simcoe Street, Toronto, Ontario. Note that there are limited number of rooms in our hotel block and the room rate is $399/night plus applicable taxes. This rate may seem high but it is great rate for this time of year in downtown Toronto.
Important: Hotels rooms at the Forum venue are limited. Please note when making your hotel guestroom reservations there will be a one-night non-refundable charge. We ask for your understanding as this is done to avoid attrition costs for the rooms being held for the host organization.
- To book your room online, please go to the following link:
- To book your room by phone, please call the Marriott reservations at 1 (800) 268-1133 or direct to the Delta Toronto Downtown at (416) 849-1200 and request group codeAFN Health Legislation Forum
The Assembly of First Nations is committed to making all our digital sites and products accessible for people living with disabilities. We are continually improving the user experience for everyone while applying relevant accessibility standards: we strive to meet or exceed the W3C’s WCAG 2.1 Level AA for all our digital offerings.