Human Resources Assistant
Refer to competition number 2019-HR-01
Term Position – Internal/External
Description: The Assembly of First Nations (AFN) requires an energetic, conscientious and career-minded Human Resources (HR) Assistant, to be responsible for providing transactional support to the HR Director. The incumbent will assist with the implementation and coordination of policy for recruitment, orientation and training, health and safety and other areas as directed. Key tasks include assisting with the preparation of interview packages, assigning health and safety training for employees, filing of correspondence, and preparing purchase orders. Other duties involve maintaining accurate up to date HR filing system of employee records, assisting with planning meetings, and booking travel as required.
Who Can Apply: Person of First Nations ancestry may only apply (s. 16(1) CHRA). Applicants must possess a diploma or certificate in secretarial or administration studies, with one or two years of work experience in an HR administrative support capacity, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Working towards a diploma/certificate in Human Resources is an asset.
Abilities & Skills: Applicants must possess:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written, oral, listening)
- Strong computer skills using Microsoft Suite programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint including Outlook)
- Strong organizational and coordination skills to manage multiple tasks and follow through in a timely manner
- Ability to handle confidential information in a professional & discrete manner
- Ability to work effectively within team environment including a wide range of individuals in the AFN and local First Nations
- Attention to detail and a dedication to accuracy
- Resourcefulness, be proactive, reliable, trustworthy, and assertive when necessary
- Self-motivation, be a team player excited to work in a fast-paced environment
- English is the working language; however the ability to work in both official languages (English/French) is an asset.
Salary Range: The AFN offers competitive salaries, strong benefits, and a pension plan.
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Duration: Term, full-time position
Closing Date: December 13, 2019 12:00pm (EDT)
Individuals who feel they are qualified are invited to submit a covering letter (quoting the above reference number) along with a current resume, salary expectations and three (3) work related references to:
Assembly of First Nations, Human Resources
55 Metcalfe Street, Suite 1600,
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 6L5
FAX: 613) 241-5808
Email: [email protected]
No applications will be accepted beyond the closing deadline. Interviews will be held in Ottawa.
Only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
AFN may cancel, postpone, or revise employment opportunities at anytime.