October 11, 2023
I am pleased to announce that the nomination process for the upcoming Election for the Office of National Chief of the Assembly of First Nations (AFN) is now open. The nomination process will be open until November 1, 2023 at 11:59pm EDT. Candidate Nomination Packages received after this date will not be accepted. The Election will take place on December 6, 2023, on Algonquin unceded territory (Ottawa, Ontario) where participants can join in-person or virtually. The Simply Voting platform will be used by all eligible voters.
Note: Pursuant to Resolution 34/2023, the term of the next National Chief was adjusted to expire in the month of July 2027, extending the term of office to three years and six months.
In order to become a Candidate for National Chief in the 2023 AFN Election, and as per Appendix A (1990) of the AFN Charter, potential Candidates for the Office of National Chief must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be eighteen (18) years of age and over;
- Be of First Nations ancestry;
- Belong to a First Nation community in good standing as a Member of the Assembly of First Nations;
- Be endorsed by fifteen (15) eligible electors, i.e., Chiefs representing First Nations which are Members of the Assembly of First Nations, at least eight (8) of whom must be from a province or territory other than that from which the Candidate comes; and
- Complete and submit a Candidate Nomination Package in proper form to the Chief Electoral Officer, in addition to meeting the requirements of Appendix A (1990) of the AFN Charter, by the specified deadline.
Candidate Nomination Packages are available upon request. Individuals interested in becoming a Candidate for National Chief are invited to contact the Chief Electoral Officer or their assistant with questions or to request a Candidate Nomination Package using the following information:
AFN Chief Electoral Officer
Download: Notice to FNs – Nomination Process Opening (PDF 457k)